Do all mosquitoes carry the debilitating Chikungunya virus?
- Scientist have identified the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, prevalent in north QLD in Australia as being able to carry the disease.
Who hurts the most boy or girl mosquitoes?
- It is the Female mosquito that is responsible for “biting” you, as she needs the protein from your blood to produce eggs. She actually uses her proboscis to suck your blood, not bite!
Where do mosquitoes live?
- Mosquitoes are found all over the world, even on the Arctic continent!
How many species of mosquitoes are there?
- There are approximately 3,000 species of mosquitoes, 350 of these are located in Australia!
How long have mosquitoes been around?
- Mosquitoes have been around for over 30 million years!
How fast does a mosquito beat its wings?
- When flying, mosquitoes beat their wings 200-600 times per second! ” The hum of a mosquito is the sound of its wings beating!
How much blood does a mosquito drink per serving?
- About 5-millionths of a litre. Female mosquitoes can swell to over double their body size before they have even finished their meal!
How far away can a mosquito smell you from?
- Mosquitoes can find you from up to 36 meters away using their sensory organs to detect body smell, carbon dioxide, warmth and moisture emitted from a chosen host!
- No, it would take more beer than a human can drink to get a mosquito drunk.